Tag Archives: atx power supply

Compact ATX power supply to lab supply conversion

7 Oct

p1000329s_

I wanted a simple 12V + 5V supply of power available on my (already very crowded) desk. There were already two other supplies in the room (one of them a fancy fully ajustable lab supply), but they were … metres away. I wanted something right beside the keyboard for powering Arduino experiments, etc.

I took a standard PC power supply, cut off the plugs that go to the motherboard, and wired a small (100mm x 75mm x 30mm) box onto the end. The actual supply is tucked a few feet away.
p1000331s_

This is my original 12V/5V conversion. It’s ugly but it’s been in use for nearly 20 years. At the time I didn’t know what types of (cheap) connector would be most useful. I fitted a push to open, release to clamp fitting off a stereo, a ‘chocolate block’ screw terminal block, some RCA phono connectors, and a solder tab that alligator clips attach to easily. In actual fact, I’ve found the RCA connectors the most useful. They’re quick, easily salvaged from old electronics, and I haven’t melted any yet, even running 5+ amps through them for hot wire cutters.
p1000332s_

Here’s another compact conversion – just a simple terminal block with GND, +3.3V, +5V, +12V, and GND again.

p1000333s_

And another one where I unsoldered everything except three of the 12V lines and three of the ground lines, plaited for convenience.

p1000301s_

Here’s the victim – a bog standard supply. I’ve cut off the mother board plugs and removed the zip ties. Note the messy tangle of wires.

p1000304s_

I used the laser cutter to make up a couple of “cable combs” to tidy up the tangle of wires. I split the wires into two sets, as they were different lengths.

p1000306s_

Here you can see a comb in use, taking a tangle of 12 wires and keeping them nicely parallel as I zip tied them. A side effect was that the resulting cable was much straighter, without the curves that were in the original wires.

p1000308s_

This is the unit that will sit on my desk. A simple laser cut tabbed box (yay for Inkscape and the Tabbed Box Extension). There’s a chunk of angle iron (20x20x3) glued in for weight, and beefy resistor to put a load on the 5V rail. (I believe most modern supplies no longer require this). Two rows of RCA connectors – 3.3V, 5V, 12V. Since I long ago standardised on red for 5V and yellow for 12V (same as the power supply wires), I don’t need to label them. There’s a socket (black) for the 5V standby which stays on when the supply is turned off, a switch which turns on the supply, a power led, and another press connector stolen from a stereo. (They come red and black, I painted one tab yellow).

p1000310s_

As I mentioned, some of the wires were shorter, so I decided to add in another box with just 5V and 12V and some salvaged connectors. This box was made with thicker 6mm mdf to give it some weight. The black objects were 3d printed covers to disguise the salvaged state of the connectors.

p1000320s_

The printed covers did make things look tidier. However, they were a BAD IDEA. It took way more effort than they were worth, and the one fault I found when I tested the system was in one of those covered connectors – now potted with hot glue and no longer accessible.

p1000326s_

I rebuilt the “secondary” box with a new design. I made another 100x75x30 tabbed box in 6mm mdf, but this time with a cutout area and four 3mm holes. I tapped the holes, M4, with a tap in a cordless drill. A 3mm mounting plate goes over the top, this time with proper panel connectors, and screws down. This was much better than the first attempt, and I’ll use the technique again.

p1000328s_

Here’s the result. It all took more time than I’d expected, particularly the actual soldering of the wires. With so many wires fitting in a small space, I had to do some messy joins. Lots of incentive for me to get on top of laser cut/etched printed circuit boards.

However, I’ve got a useful tool that may get me doing more Arduino/robotics projects. I also learned a lot about using Inkscape, and found some techniques for making enclosures that I will definitely use again.

Advertisements

New Style ATX Power Supply MOD

19 May

 

Yet another ATX power supply modified into a general purpose supply. If you ever need to do this, there’s a heap of instructions on the net. Exempli gratia: http://www.instructables.com/id/ATX–%3E-Lab-Bench-Power-Supply-Conversion/ and http://www.hackszine.com/blog/archive/2008/04/turn_an_atx_power_supply_into.html.

I’ve done a number of these, usually trying to maximise the number of available voltages

Here’s a typical example, with output connections for Ground, -PowerEnable, Ground, 3.3v, 5v, 12v, Ground, PowerOk, Ground, 5v StandBy, -12v, -5v    (all the separate ground connections make it easier to wire up). Very flexible and all those connections come out, almost, neatly into a standard 12 way chocolate block.

Image

This time, however, I knew I only wanted +12V and Ground, and I wanted the maximum possible current. I chopped off all the wires I could and hardwired the -PowerEnable to Ground internally (and the 3.3v and 3.3v sense, just in case it had some effect).  There’s a 5W resistor between +5v and Ground as well to add some load. Then I clumped all the +12V and all the remaining Ground wires into big bundles and soldered them into some 3/8″ copper tubing. Into the other end of the copper tubing went some spare 8 guage wire I had lying around for another project. This was butane torch territory, as even my 100W soldering gun wouldn’t handle it. Copious heatshrink over everything when I finished. Ugly, but it should be powerful.